We rate major corporations based on their level of respect for our 2nd Amendment rights, using the standards laid out in our 2A Ratings Guide.  Some ratings may fluctuate beyond the definitions in the Ratings Guide based on recent events.

We are starting to provide Rating Details By Company, which allows you to see our justification for each rating.

Please keep in mind that these ratings are meant to help you in your own research and decision making and are not intended to replace your own fact-finding.  Also, your real-world experience may vary depending on how corporate policy is implemented at the local level, and at independently owned and operated franchises.

Finally, we strongly recommend everyone know the firearms laws applicable in your state, and when traveling out of state.  We recommend you spend $10 on something like the Traveler’s Guide to Firearms Laws.

We have presented two views of our list; one sorted by rating and another by company name.

Ratings as of September 16, 2014.

142 Comments

1. Curious: Starbucks is an F? They ask people not to OC, but aren’t banning it and still offer products/services. Based on the evaluation criteria, probably a C…or perhaps a D since the real crime is asking $5 for a cup of joe.

2. May I ask why Kroger gets a ‘B’ grade? While they do not prohibit citizens from carrying at their locations, Kroger and their subsidiaries prohibit their employees from carrying while at work.

3. I wonder if it’s time to review Groupon’s grade. A couple weeks ago I received a Groupon email with a shooting range package for two at Close Quarters Tactical (CQT), a local gun range and CCW training facility. Then just this morning, I received another email from Groupon, also featuring a similar package from CQT. The package includes pistol rental.

That said, it would seem the folks at Groupon pulled their heads out of their hind ends.

4. Can you contact Tanger Outlets and verify their policy?

From what I’ve read, they are probably gun friendly, although there’s been some confusion on a couple of threads I’ve looked at (here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?84713-tanger-outlet-mall-not-open-carry-freindly/ and here: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/136618-o-c-c-c-tanger-outlets-washington-pa.html ).

It sounds like the policy is that company is fine with carrying, although the individual stores may prohibit it if they wish. Tanger Outlets has several dozen outlet malls across the country so it’d be nice to know.

• Thanks for checking. I have OC’d a couple times in the outlets in southern Delaware and haven’t yet run into any problems, FWIW.

• I think you’re right–individual stores can (and do) operate their stores as criminal empowerment zones. Unless it’s in a pinch and I need something in a hurry, I try to avoid CEZ’s whenever possible.

In Michigan, state law says that individual business owners are required to post a sign declaring they are a CEZ, but many don’t (i.e. Costco). I think it’s always good to check, especially if you’re unsure, and it sounds like you’ve put forth good effort to check.

5. Can anyone tell me what these ratings mean. I know what an A is and I know what an F is. But what about B,C,D.

6. I see that you have several theatre chains listed, and I would like you to add Cinemark to your F-rated list. Cinemark included the Aurora shooting location, and since then they have adamantly refused to change their policy, despite the fact that the shooter chose his target because of their no-gun policy.

• Might want to talk directly with the store managers @ CVS, I think you may be surprised by the outcome. I know alot,of us had been discussing this same issue, and we most all agree, we would rather have a righteous open gun toting dude come in, then a slinking guy in a heavy coat, looking to hide something, suspicious is scary. Out in plan sight, ain’t so scary to most.

7. Jeffrey A. OConnor

Has anyone mentioned Red Lobster?In Tn. signs are up stating jail time and fines.I can understand it for open drink sells.Not allowed in the bar area would be fine with me.

8. Don’t worry about Winn-Dixie. As of yet they do not allow carry of any weapons on their property, but as of 11 or 18 Jun Winn Dixie will be no more as the3y have been bought out by another company and things from the top management on down to the bottom is going through some big changes

9. The AMC Theater In Manteca, CA. removed their “no guns allowed” sign from the window. Anyone else notice this? I was wondering if they changed their position. Any info?

10. If CheaperThanDirt get’s an “F” rating, then Dick’s Sporting Goods should get a “F” or at least a “D” since they stopped selling AR-15 rifles and pretty much silently endorsed a ban on them by doing so. As far as I know, all CTD did was stop selling weapons for a few days after the Newtown tragedy cause they were supposedly overwhelmed, started price-gouging afterwards, and they (openly) supported/endorsed the compromised version of the Universal Background Check bill, which isn’t quite as bad as the “assault weapons” ban that Dick’s silently endorsed.

I personally don’t patronize either business for the reasons above. I just would like to see Dick’s hit hard with a boycott for banning all their chains from selling AR-15 rifles and such.

11. El; Paso, TX
    Walmart Neghborhood MarketsEl Paso
    - Where they are posted it is no UNLawful care, CHL is legal.

Walmart Super Center/Store – not posted but they hardly ever have ammunition and are limited to 3 boxes.

12. You might want to re-examine your rating for Target Corporation. All the ones I’ve been to have “Gun free” signs in by their service counter.

• All the northern Ohio stores I’ve been in have a sign. Not at the front door though, but by their service counter which is angled away from the outside view. You wouldn’t even know they ban carry unless you went looking.

Corporate Customer Service (or guest service as they jokingly call themselves) won’t provide a solid answer on if it’s a company policy.

• And see we OC in our local Target, but that may be due to the difference in state laws. Our legislators are pushing to save our rights, makes it much easier.

13. Butch Williams

Great work! I very much agree with the CTD ordeal, on the other side of the coin, we have MIDWAY USA which (to my understanding and experience) deserves a AA for all of their contributions to the Pro Firearms cause.

14. I would like to see home depot on your list. I work for them and recently there was a large uproar about one of our store in a conceal state asking a customer to leave our store. This request came after another customer complained about the first customers gun not being concealed therefore not being compliant with the local law. Home Depot as a company supports the rights given to the people in each and every location based on local and state laws that may apply so if that helps at all sure would love to see them on the list. Sarah Gerber

15. ABQ NM Gun Owner

Burlington Coat Factory has a policy that says only on-duty cops are allowed to carry into the store. Corporate won’t allow the stores to put any “NO GUNS ALLOWED” sign on the front door unless required by law because they have a policy against “negative signage.” That’s part of why you see people taking their pets, skateboards, food, drinks, etc., etc., into the store.

Whether or not the no-guns-allowed policy is actually enforced depends on which managers and loss prevention people are duty for the given moment. Some will get in your face about it, others couldn’t care less.

They also have a policy that says employees can be terminated for having a weapon in their vehicle while parked in the lot associated with the store.

16. Thea Freimund

Thanks for all you do! Please consider adding JoAnn Fabrics to your list of places to rate. My local stores have “no gun” signs posted and after repeated attempts to discuss store policy with local management, I have been unable to sway them to lift the ban. Girls want to feel safer while shopping, too.

17. add chuck e cheese and time warner cable to ban list. i dont know where your located. I’m in Texas and use Texas3006.com. you might find others that need to be on your list

18. You need to add Square (www.square.com) payment processing to your boycott list. Section 6 of their seller agreement (https://squareup.com/legal/seller-agreement) says they refuse to accept payments for businesses who sell firearms or ammunition.

19. Roy Henderson

CheaperThanDirt’s “F” rating must be in error. They sell guns and ammunition as well as other gun related products through retail stores and online.

20. Is there a rating for Amazon, where do they stand in the ratings ?

21. Stan Addison

… I surely appreciate your site and the information that you’ve obviously been very careful and exacting in researching… I’ve contributed a few times whe I had something to share that I thought was pertinent and I find your ease of access to do so VERY encouraging…

… Given the rash of gun legislation in so many states and the increase in pressure nationwide to create additional legislation regardin guns and their posession, registration, use, etc. has any thought been given to including a uniform signage clause in any of this proposed legislation that an establishment would have to use to properly make it’s potential patrons aware of that specific locations’ policy regarding carry/concealed carry/open carry etc.?

,… It would seem to me that if such signage was uniform in size (of both the placard and the lettering), shape, color, wording, language(s), and locatrion of exterior placement much would be accomplished in the way of keeping people like us who want to carry as well as those who prefer to be helpless victims from infringing on each others’ comfort zones…

…just my thoughts…

… Thanks again for providing a much needed service..!!

22. How about putting some kind of a of explanation as to the number system that is used and other pertinent information to help clarify, have been asked a couple times from neighbors just what is meant by the color coding and alfa charactors.

23. Lady Jane’s gets an “A”. The girl who has been cutting my hair for a couple of years works at the one in Taylor, MI. During my usual call to schedule I asked if there would be an issue if I legally O/C’d. “No, sir. The shop does not have a policy against open nor CPL concealed carry.” Not a single problem, was just business and conversation as usual… and a damn good haircut :-)

• Also, IHOP gets an “A”. Michigan Open Carry .org is having an O/C lunch hosted at the Trenton, MI location this Sunday, May 5th at 1:30pm.

• Correction, IHOP in Woodhaven, MI. Michigan Open Carry .org also goes by Michigan Open Carry , Inc

24. Jared Sanders

UPS is the most friendly of the 3 major freight carriers.

I bought a bunch of ammo for a friend that lives out of state, I learned something about shipping today.
    USPS: “No Way!”
    FedEx: “No Way!”
    UPS: “No Problem!”

I think UPS is the only one that allows the shipping of firearms as well. I found it comical that even though I know UPS allows the shipment of weapons, there was a “no guns allowed” sign on the outside of their hub in Denton TX.

• There is a sign at our ups center but it is just for the back (employee area) where they ship and receive from the trucks, It does not apply to the area where customers come to ship and pickup pkg,

• Willie Calhoun

Fedex will ship firearms as long as either the sender or the recipient has an ffl. Ammuntion must be shipped seperately. Fedex will not ship handguns.

DHL will not ship firearms.

25. I recently heard Nebraska Furniture Mart allows CCW in their stores.

26. I’d like to see a list by alphabetic listing by the business name. It would make it a lot quicker to see if you want to stop at a place you see along the road. If done as text it would even be searchable.

27. Also the following hotels;
    Holiday Inn
    Comfort Inn
    Super 8
    Country Inn
    On a recent trip all four banned guns on their properties.

28. Add to the list Harbor Freight. I went to one of their stores and they had a “no firearms” sign posted. I went in and told them why I would no longer do business with them.

29. It would also be interesting to know which States have CCW and Open Carry Laws that override a corporate policy. I know here in Nevada the law states that if you have a CCW you can carry anywhere not prohibited by Federal Law (airports, courthouse, etc). Many of the companies on the list have the “no firearms” signs with a * on it that says “unless prohibited by state law” or “CCW holders exempted”.

30. I will proudly continue to buy computers and iPads at Apple Stores!

31. any company that will not release there corporate policy on gun policies should get an F automatically. Such as walmart which originally stated as corporate policy that it is against conceal and carry or open carry.

32. Ohio Firefighter

I see Red Robins is rated F. i carry all the time into one in Columbus with no problem. There are no signage stating you can’t.

• …. without a proper sign indicating otherwise, ANY retail business that is open to the public is considered as open to concealed OR open carry….

33. Please explain the F rating on Cheaper Than Dirt.

34. I found Walmarts policy is on their website… I basically says NO open carry, period. Canceled carry is permitted but that if the weapon is noticed you may be asked to leave or return the weapon to your vehicle and you may return to shopping

35. How about grocery stores?
    That is where many people spend generous money on a frequent basis.

I’d be curious about Publix, Winn-Dixie, Kroger, and some might wonder about Wal-Mart as many are grocery stores now.

Great work!

• Aaron Lukefahr

My local Kroger here in Kentucky allows open carry as as I’m aware. I have done it on several occasions without a word being said.

36. I see BJ’s Wholesale has an A Rating, this has to be wrong? the past 2 years I was stopped at the doors and asked to not bring my gun in and if I do I would be removed from the store because they do not allow guns in the store nor any of there porperty, This is the Store in Stroudsburg, PA. 18360 Please recheck and see because if there telling you they do allow guns on property then something is not right.

37. I work for Goodyear, and guns are not allowed in the work place, but are allowed on the property, and in the parking lot. We have a gun club on the premises, and a hunting club as well. There is also a gun range on the property. I’m not sure how much more gun friendly a company can be? We are able to hunt, shoot, train with our firearms on Goodyear property as long as we follow state safe hunter guidelines.

38. I’m a small business owner, gun owner, CCW licensee and hunter. After receiving an email from a prospective client about our firearms policy–and seeing the “bob-and weave” tactics in some companies’ policies and/or replies–I decided I should write one. We conduct most of our business via the web, email or over the phone. If we meet with clients in person, it’s almost always at the client site, not my office.

I decided it was time to clarify that, so here’s Dojo North Software’s official position. The long and short of it — law-abiding gun owners, and their guns, are ALWAYS welcome. http://ssd.dojonorthsoftware.net/?p=1852

Please review and feel free to offer constructive criticism if you think it needs work. I don’t want some liberal greedy trial lawyer to burn me on a technicality. :)

I am also a member of the NRA and NAGR (National Association for Gun Rights)

Matthew Sawyer
    Owner, Dojo North Software, LLC

39. I have been in Scheels many times carrying without incident. I have seen an associate helping a customer that was carrying with a holster fitting. As far as I can tell, conceal carry in this establishment is not a problem.

• Just wanted to let you know that I carry in Scheels in Des Moines, Iowa ALL the time, it’s about 50/50 whether it’s openly carried or concealed. Never had any problem there but then again I have worked with two of the employees there at previous jobs. Don’t know if that has anything to do with my success or not.

40. Just want to thank you for what your doing. As long as we have a guide to go to before spending our money foolishly, we can make a difference. Thanks Brother.

41. I just read today that at BuffaloWild Wings in Va a server upheld their no carry policy even for some off-duty police officers! It didn’t even sway her when they showed their badges.I decided they must not need ANY 2A business from this date forward! Fot the bad news,the manager said sorry to the cops but the no carry policy still stands for everybody else. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/28/buffalo-wild-wings-sorry-after-gun-fearing-waitress-refuses-to-serve-cops/?intcmp=trending

42. I would like to add that unfortunately, my favorite place for hot wings has joined the gun-free club. I have seen two locations of Taco Mac in Georgia with signs near the front door saying no concealed weapons allowed. They are owned by Tappan Street.

43. Great, keep up the good work, i am looking for a internet provider that i can replace comcast with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Not sure where you’re based, Rich, but here in Michigan we have a few choices in my subdivision. In 2008 a 20-year exclusivity contract the homeowners association had with Com(munist)cast expired. As soon as it did, WOW (Wide Open West) and AT&T U-verse swooped in so folks here have two choices outside of Comcast. We’ve used both WOW and U-verse and are very happy with both. We switched back to WOW recently because of lower pricing and a guaranteed rate for 2 years.

Not only is Comcast extremely anti-gun, they’re also very anti-customer in general. In addition to poor quality of service, their customer service reps aren’t very friendly and the only thing we could expect from them were price increases that kept coming in leaps and bounds–easy for them to do when they had a monopoly here!

Thank you to the hard work the folks who compiled this list and ratings!

As a small business owner, law-abiding gun owner and CCW licensee, you and your guns are always welcome at my place of business.

Matthew Sawyer
      Owner, Dojo North Software, LLC

44. Keep me in the loop, I am usually blocked or my posts are blocked by Facebook.

45. Two that I used to visit here are Taco Mac (wing chain in the Atlanta area) and Applebee’s. Both have signs posted for no carry.

46. Can you fix this list so we can get a printable copy? We could come to the site every so often and reprint revised versions to carry with us. Great service you are doing.

• Dude, bookmark it on your smartphone! The great, small websites like this live and die by the amount of web traffic they get! Support them, don’t print!

47. You guys didn’t rate CVS, Walgreens, or Rite Aid, where employees are prohibited from carrying a weapon yet many do at the risk of being terminated if they ever need it?

48. When I see a NO GUNS Sign I turn around and go some place else to spend my money. A place that understands we have a right to protect ourselves and others.

49. I think this is a great way to learn about which businesses are restricting 2nd Amendment rights. Keep up the great work and continue to update this site so we can make our informed decisions whether to give them our business or boycott them!

• what about their employees with concealed carry permits….. do they infringe on their rights but not their customers.

50. Richard Clayton

I applaud what you are doing, and I think it will go a long way to help 2A supporters voice their opinions.

My $0.02, is this: I have shopped several of the businesses mentioned, and I think that their individual store policy is based largely on geographical preferences. I have shopped C rated and below stores in the Hampton Roads area of Virgina without a problem (I OC everywhere I go). Examples include; Advance Auto, Autozone, Levi Strauss, TGIFridays (I even ordered a beer while OC’ing, which is legal here in VA), Toys R Us, and others. Yet, some of the stores mentioned (Home Depot being one, b rated) have had “no guns allowed” signs in their windows. I turned around and left, of course. It may be worth highlighting that these scores are based on corporate policies, and that not every store, franchise or not, follows the exact policy of the home office.

• I think the same applies to Buffalo Wild Wings. My wife received a free dinner from them so we decided to redeem it. Having seen their anti-gun position in the news, I made a specific point to look for a criminal empowerment zone sign at the door, but there was none to be found. Not on the outside of the building, nor on the inside, where the “no shoes/no shirts/no service” sign was posted. I asked, and the assistant manager said that it was an independent location and the owner was choosing not to enforce the policy.

2acheck’s description for BWW indicates that not all locations are corporate owned, and some franchisees may have latitude on the policy, or perhaps they quietly defy the policy. Just because someone is a BWW franchisee doesn’t mean they want to be a victim. I applaud and am happy to patronize businesses that defy the mothership’s anti-gun policy and allow their patrons to be armed.

Matthew Sawyer